Sunday 5 October 2008

Manchester's Tern


Saturday 26th September. A day where Manchester, got a taste of summer. What a lovely morning. As I pay my quid at the gates of Heaton Park, The attendant says how busy he will be today. Car loads of families everywhere. I have fond memories, of when I was a nipper here. It was always a special treat when all the family and friends caught the two buses to get here. In them days, the parks where packed on sunny days with mill workers families ( as my parents where), finally getting out for some sunlight and fun with the kids. I also remember, coming here to do some fishing on the boating lake, playing truant, and ignoring the No fishing signs.
Today, I am here to see a rare tern. White Winged Black Tern...from behind a fence...and at distance...Grrrr! It's a fashion around here in the North-West, that If a reservoir is good for birds, then it's only open to permit holders only. These permits are as rare as finding a gold coupon in your chocolate bar. Sites that I used to have great days out at include Seaforth, Audenshaw, Prescot. All exclude birders without a permit.... But get this, at Audenshaw If you are a Dog walker, Jogger, Fishermen, Yacht owner's....It's ok!. We must be terrerorists or something. It really get's my goat. So it's thanks to Adrian Dancy for this great photo. Oh, And I had a lovely afternoon in the park, in the sun.

No comments: