Sunday 27 April 2008

Flamboro Lifer

I made a late decision to make my first trip to the East coast. Great choice.
Flamborough Head TA2570
A King Eider was seen here daily since Thursday 24th a rare bird to English coasts. As I reached the car park I saw a few people doing there best impressions of Amy Winehouse (not a good sight), "not showing", one guy said. Still, I am here, may as well do some sea dogging. I head over to the 50 or so birders on the cliff. As I join them, a lady is pointing to a white speck on the sea - That's it! Lifer 2 in two weeks. My pictures don't do this stunning male justice, as we are hundreds of feet above sea level.
Bempton Cliffs RSPB, TA1974
I love taking pictures of the cliff clinging sea birds here. With a scope you can get great views. Always popular with th public. In my opinion, the Gannet numbers where down this year. I saw the Kittiwake population lessen by one, as a Grt. Backed Back Gull, pick a Kittiwake of the cliffs, drown it, then took some time opening it up from underneath. It tough living here for birds.
Blacktoft Sands
All the reedbeds are full of song - Grasshopper, Sedge and Reed warblers have arrived. Also reported today was a very early Swift. Once again I dip on Gargeney (2nd times this year, - 3 times last year). Spoonbill has gone earlier as well. My pager informs me that a Spanish Sparrow was seen at Flamborough Head, but I don't care. I have had a great day in the sun. It won't be sunny during the Bank Holiday next week.

No comments: