Sunday 9 December 2007

Winter Desert..


Having my fingers and everything else crossed all week has payed off. A chance to get the lost Desert Wheatear - 2 in the country.
Cromer point, Burniston, North Yorkshire, TA0292. A 6am blast off from home, I get to the top of a very cold Seacliff top. A couple of minutes walk from my warm car, and I am in a small stubble area with 4 or 5 stonechats showing off. The wind is bitter. Then I see it. a few feet to my left. What a poser! The bird was happy to tolerate birders if they stayed still. Crippling views, and then I am back to the car in 10 minutes. As I take my boots off, a strange (to me), call comes from the hedge. A trill - a whistle - a trill.. My brain gives me a question - Is that a Lapland Bunting call? A lapland Bunting, the bird I have most dipped on. I inspect the hedge. A bunting shaped bird, sees me coming, and it's erupts from the bush still calling. Yes! that's it. A lifer. No sign of the Snow Bunts - my bogey bird this year. Face beaming, I'm off to scarborogh harbour - Great Northern Diver - ticked.
184 - Desert Wheatear
185 - Lapland Bunting.
Nail biting times.

No comments: